Meet Dr. Jessica Akunna
Office Locations: West Orange
Q&A with Jessica Akunna
- Q: Tell us about your background as a doctor.A: I attended Rutgers University in New Brunswick for my undergraduate studies and Meharry Medical College in Nashville, TN for my medical degree. I completed my intern year at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, FL, and subsequently completed residency at Chesterfield Family Practice -VCU.
- Q: Why did you choose to become a doctor?A: As a child, I knew someone close to me that died from a preventable disease. It fueled my passion and desire to become a physician.
- Q: Why did you choose to practice in an open access primary care practice?A: It’s a great opportunity to provide primary and urgent care at the same time.
- Q: What unique skills do you possess?A: Empathy. I treat patients like they are kin. I truly want the best outcome for everyone. I also make it a habit to relate to my patients anyway I can. That connection point is key for building trust.
- Q: Describe your day to day activities, priorities and tasks. What do you like best?A: I evaluate and treat patients. Educate, encourage, and advocate for my patients. I also complete various administrative tasks.
- Q: What accomplishments are you most proud of?A: Being a wife, mother, and a physician.
- Q: What are the key challenges of this field of medicine? How is it changing?A: There are so many. However, if I could address one, it would be physician burn out. There are more studies showing how this can adversely affect the health of a provider. I’m an advocate for physician wellness and self-care. There are now conferences, classes, and events dedicated to this topic.
- Q: If you couldn’t be a physician, what would you be doing?A: I would explore my creative side more. Perhaps dabble in the field of art therapy.
- Q: What makes working at Care Station special?A: The staff is very personable and relatable. There are a lot of team players.
- Q: Why should patients choose Care Station for their primary care?A: It is a convenient place for patients to get there needs met. We offer specialty services in addition to primary care.
- Q: Tell us a little something about yourself.A: I am easy going and patient. I’m up for challenges because that’s how I’ve grown personally and professionally.
- Q: How do you like to spend your free time?A: Reading, cooking, traveling, and spending quality time with my lovely family.