Meet Dr. Malika Desilva
Office Locations: Secaucus
Q&A with Malika Desilva
- Q: Tell us about your background as a doctor.A: I graduated from St. Georges School of Medicine in Grenada in 2000. My experience in the W. Indies played a very significant part in my training as it opened my eyes to a different culture and background. I was able to be involved in the community at local health fairs and teaching school children. My training at UMDNJ family practice residency was invaluable.
- Q: Why did you choose to become a doctor?A: I choose to become a doctor because I deeply care about how medical care is administered to the sick and the vulnerable. I want to reach out to comfort and reduce suffering.
- Q: Why did you choose to practice in an open access primary care practice?A: Open access primary care provides the best medical services to an individual who is sick either with acute or chronic medical conditions. It gives an opportunity to build a consistent patient-doctor relationship, therefore establishing patient satisfaction and trust in the healthcare system.
- Q: What unique skills do you possess?A: My skill would be in the detail. I try to complete tasks with great care and accuracy.
- Q: Describe your day to day activities, priorities and tasks. What do you like best?A: My priorities start at home. First as a mother and head of the family, then my responsibility towards my patients and work. I love being a mother to my two children despite the challenges.
- Q: What accomplishments are you most proud of?A: My accomplishments are the good relationships I have built between my family, friends, patients, and others.
- Q: What are the key challenges of this field of medicine? How is it changing?A: Third party payers/insurance companies who limit access to healthcare for people.
- Q: If you couldn’t be a physician, what would you be doing?A: I would contribute my knowledge and efforts to public health and human advances in medicine/science. Most likely I would be a scientist.
- Q: What makes working at Care Station special?A: The working environment created at Care Statin is consistent with a collegial atmosphere, mutual respect, advancement of workers, as well as the company as a whole.
- Q: Why should patients choose Care Station for their primary care?A: Patients should choose Care Station because it provides a welcome environment for their medical needs, i.e. the staff and providers offer compassionate, continual, and comprehensive care for their well-being.
- Q: Tell us a little something about yourself.A: I can call myself an optimist. Hopeful that life could only get better provided I do my best at everything. I have a passion to serve and uplift another, anyway I can.
- Q: How do you like to spend your free time?A: I spend my leisure time gardening and outdoor activities like hiking.